Potential conflict between emacspeak with hardware synth and Orca

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy and trying to run both emacspeak and Orca. I want to use my DECTalk Express with emacspeak and a software synth with Orca. However, if I have both Orca and emacspeak running and try to switch between emacs and another application, everything freezes. I either have to use a remote machine to kill emacspeak or Orca, or I have to restart the X server. This problem also occurs if I am using the emacspeak speech server inside Orca--in effect, both programs are using the DECTalk Express.

Is anyone successfully using emacspeak with a hardware synthesizer and Orca?  If so, any suggestions for working around my problem?

Thanks,

dave