Re: [emacspeak The Complete Audio Desktop] Web Accessibility AndUsability: Comin...

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:15:18AM -0800, T. V. Raman wrote:
> In my opinion laTeX and Emacs remain the best combination for
> eyes-free authoring. However if you tell the rest of the
> "mainstream accessibility community" that you have written books
> using Emacs and LaTeX, they'll promptly disqualify you from their
> ranks saying "just because it worked for you -- it wont work for
> everyone". They'll then jump to the next completely disconnected
> inference which reads "It only works for Kalyan, it wont work for
> anyone else".

Agreed, but on the other hand, my experience is that scholars and authors who
use LaTeX can understand quickly and intuitively why it would be so valuable
to a person working in an eyes-free environment.

I write everything in LaTeX using Emacs, except Web pages which I code in
HTML. TeX4HT makes it trivially easy to produce HTML or XHTML versions of
LaTeX documents as a complement to the typeset PDF versions.