emacs 23 and utf-8

As I drop support for the now ancient Emacs 20, and bring things
in Emacspeak to work with double byte chars more cleanly, I've
updated   the speech server layer in emacspeak to default to
utf-8. The dectalk speech server  sends the characters raw to
avoid the Dectalk dying on utf chars.

Lukas, This may be a good time to integrate the rest of your
work on handling the various European languages correctly; See if
you need patches over and beyond what is in the svn code
base. Note: try this with Emacs 22, rather than the  CVS  version
of Emacs 23. If running out of CVS Emacs, then use a CVS snapshot
anchored at no later than Feb 1.

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Google: tv+raman