espeak voicing issue

I've been messing around a bit with espeak today and yesterday.  I've
discovered that any voice with a richness setting of zero is not
spoken.  I'm not sure if this happens with every voice, but if you run
the command

emacspeak-wizards-generate-voice-sampler

you can see what I mean.

Also, sometimes lines I move point to do not speak immediately.  If I do
C-e l I get the first part of the line (maybe four or five words)
spoken, then the line starts over again and speaks to the end.

Two things I wonder about concerning espeak...

1.  Does anyone else find the character echo unusable?  I am not that
quick a typist, but it cannot keep up with me... quite distracting.
Turning off word echo seems to help a little.

2.  Has anyone figured out a way to use mbrola voices with espeak and
emacspeak?

Thanks,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my
life there.