espeak question and heads-up

I have been in contact with the eSpeak developer and we have been
working through some words to improve the American English voice.  If
you use this voice, you might want to upgrade to the latest version.  It
can be downloaded here:

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/latest.html

I have a question I've not been able to find an answer to.  When reading
through text, both brackets and parenthesis are spoken as left or right
bracket.  If moving point over the character, it is spoken left or right
paren for the parenthesis and left or right bracket for the brackets.
If you send these commands to eSpeak:

espeak --punct "["
espeak --punct "("

they are spoken as left square and left bracket.  I have searched my
.dictionary file and see nothing that would cause this.  Not only that,
but it is global.  Also, the bracket characters seem to be spoken as a
replacement as the echo that is used to distinguish characters from
their names is not present.  Can someone shed light on what is going on
here and what might be done to fix it.  I don't mind losing the echo but
I don't necessarily want to change this in every mode either.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing.