Updated to SVN with a couple questions

Hi All,
As I write this, I'm using Emacspeak from SVN and Gnus.  For the most
part, the upgrade went well.
However, there are a couple issues I'm noticing.
One involves word echo.  I've turned it off in this buffer, but still
hear tiny fragments of whatever word I finish typing before hearing the
space read.
Another involves capitalized words.  The method Emacspeak uses for
indicating them seems to have changed, and I'm not sure I like the new
behavior of saying "capital" before every uppercase word.
I was wondering what variable I need to to tweak to revert to the old
behavior?
Any help on these issues would be appreciated.
Thanks much,
Zack.