Editing files with root Privilege

Hi Zack,
This is an ad hoc solution, which I have used for the past several
years without causing grief to my system. I'll describe the steps:
1. Create directories in your home directory with names like
`priv-archives and modified-archives.
2. As an ordinary user, copy the file to be modified to your home
directory and priv-archive.
3. Edit the file and  save it.
4. Open a root shell
(C-e C-r) and copy the modified file to where it had come from and
restore original privileges; also copy the file to the
modified-archive directory. Close root shell.
It is long winded but I think it is safe and always possible to
restore the status quo ante.
HTH.
Kalyan