Re: Problems setting up emacspeak with espeak (or eflite)

Thomas Tuttle writes:
 > Wow, thank you for this extremely helpful reply.
 >
 > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > Hi Thomas,
 > >
 > > Possibly ensure
 > > you are running the latest version (maybe even a dev/svn version?).
 >
 > Do you mean the dev version of emacspeak, the synth, or both?

I was referring to the latest version of espeak. It may be worth
checking the archives of this group as I seem to remember some posts
regarding the issues you mentioned and a later post that suggested
that some of the issues were resolved in the latest version. Can't
help much more than that as I don't run espeak.

Something else I should have mentioned. There is a ubuntu based
distribution that is specifically targeted at blind and vision
impaired. It was called vibuntu, but they have changed their name
recently (can't remember what the new name is just now). It comes
configured with gnome and the Orca screen reader. Nice thing about it
is that you can boot from the CD or usb stick and have speech as soon
as you login. I initially used it to load a ubuntu system as it
allowed me to get up and running without a sighted user helping. It
still has some rough edges, but is pretty good. One area with good
potential is to have it on a usb stick, which you can carry and boot
any system and have a speech enabled setup quickly and relatively
painlessly.

 > Thanks, and thank you again for all the information!
 >
 > So I've started installing voxin (the package from Oralux), and I've
 > run into a (potential) problem.  I run a 64-bit Linux distribution,
 > but the library that it includes is 32-bit.  I assume the trick is to
 > build a 32-bit tclsh, so the entire tclsh/Tcl script/ViaVoice
 > combination can run as a 32-bit program?

I've not yet ventured into the fun of 64 bit. However, I seem to
remember a post to the group from Raman a while back where he
mentioned that he is now running 64 bit version with ViaVoice. In
fact, there is a Makefile in the linux-outloud directory for building
on a 64 bit platform.

I do know you can run both 32 bit and 64 bit applications on a 32 bit
system. Might need to play around with getting the crrect library
paths working etc, but it should be possible without too many
problems. There are still many apps only available in 32 bit, so I'd
expect it is a fairly common requirement.

--
regards,

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx