Reading tabular data

Hello,

As far as I can see, the examples of emacspeak's handling of tabular data given in the
distro is in html format. Is there anyway to get some idea of data
that has been tabulated using Excel? The nature of the data is quite
simple; so even screen reader output would be comprehensible to
me. But I don't have access to Windows machines and I assume that if I
open the Excel file in an Emacs buffer carnage would result. Any
ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks.
Kalyan