ispell-mode not speaking

ispell-mode and I appear to be no longer on speaking terms ... pity it
was a nice relationship.  I don't know when it broke even.

What happens:
1) open new emacspeak session
2) in any buffer (doesn't seem to matter much which mode) enter
something like
eerror (error but with a doubled e at the start)
--
Then move the cursor over eerror and type
m-x ispell-word

silence follows
ispell itself still works since if I type 0 I get the correction and
speech continues normally.  I even sometimes get the message "checking
spelling of eerror".
but I never hear the choices.  Similarly ispell-region no longer gives
the current line with the errant word in its particular voice etc.
This will almost certainly be a version thing so
emacs 22.1.1
emacspeak at revision 6149
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.5), ispell.el 3.6 - 01/07/2003

but loading the ispell from the current cvs snapshot of emacs doesn't
seem to help either.

I wondered if the advice from emacspeak-ispell was being called but it
seems so.  I also failed to get edebug to instrument a defadvice but
am not very familiar with the edebug package so probably messed that
up.  Failing a solution to the question, any advice on debugging
advised functions would be welcome (perhaps more so since I'm more
likely to find my own solution next time).
cheers
Peter

Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay
Orme des Merisiers, 91191 Gif/Yvette
work: +33  (1) 69 08 88 11;	mobile: +33 (6) 75 46 56 52;	 fax: +33 (1) 69 08 77 16
mail-to: peter.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://www-lsce.cea.fr/Pisp/52/peter.rayner.html