Re: Introduction and proposed contribution

Hi,

If I had to identify my targeted audience, I'd have to say it's the following:

Sales people who rely on text to create proposals and the like
Teachers, instructors, musicians, historians, clerks and the like who
rely on text pretty heavily but do not have a technical background
Programmers and those who want to be and have been banging their heads
against things like visual studio, borland, eclipse and the like and
all the visual syntax highlighting prevalent there but whose entire pc
experience has been gui and not console
students, housewives, businessmen and others who could use things like
agendas, web browsers, chat clients, twiter clients, facebook clients,
write letters, read books, send e-mail ... oh, everyone, you know.

As for maintainability, I've thought about submitting updates to the
stuff I found out there already.  The trouble is, I would end up
having to rewrite a lot of it and rewriting is always far more
time-consuming than just starting from scratch for me.  I want to
write what I've got in mind in a pretty modular way that makes it
easier to make additions or updates to as the software changes.  My
initial targeted user base is the growing number of people who are
using the Vinux distribution of Linux based on Ubuntu.  We get people
anywhere from those who used Unix in the past and decided to check
Linux out after a long hiatus (yours truly), kids in high school who
have never known a command line in all of their lives, retired people
who can't afford Windows and all the licensing it costs associated
with it, and, this is recent, complete newcomers to computers who are
being introduced to them in India by a few of our number.  Lots of
these people in developing countries could never afford windows and
the assistive tech it offers and, often, had no idea that they could
use computers and be productive.  I don't think we are going to go
away soon as we are getting more andmore users and have actually begun
to organize ourselves into special groups in charge of development,
testing and documentation for various aspects of the Linux environment
ranging from console-based applications with Speakup as the screen
reader, Gnome apps with Orca, and, of course, Emacspeak.  The goal is
to provide fully accessible operating system for blind people to use
for all their computer needs and completely without sighted
assistance, expensive hardware or software and available to people of
all  levels of computer competence.  It is these people who will
probably be the very first to use this guide.  It will be freely
available to all, however, and I would be honored beyond words if it
were to be placed in a location that would allow everyone who might
potentially use Emacspeak to benefit from it.  I've got to write it
first though and contributions from anyone on this list in the form of
feedback, corrections ETC. would be absolutely invaluable because I
don't want to make it just OK, I want to make it insanely good, to
steal from Steve Jobs' slogans.

Thanks.
Alex M