Re: Emacspeak with Espeak on Ubuntu doesn't work

Well, I can change that.

Most recent versions of pulseAudio work well for me on two different systems - one running 64bit and one running 32bit Linux.
I now need to worry a lot less about the type of audio card, can multiplex different sound sources and setup usb devices, such as mcrophones and headsets just by plugging them in. I can vary the volume of different sound sources and can stream different sources over the network to different mahcines. All in all, a lot more flexible and easier to run than just plain alsa

Pulseaudio had a lot of problems initially and you can get some weird problems when mixing in things like portaudio, alsa only software and oss stuff (though its got a lot better than it was). Getting the initial pulseaudio setup right use to be a hassle and you needed to ensure it used things like real-time scheduling, which required manually setting the right permissions and lots of other fairly complicated tweaks, but this is largely handled automatically in most distributions now.  It has taken some distributions a bit of effort to get the defaults set appropriately, but they have come a long way.

As time passes, it will become more difficult to not use pulseaudio than use it as this is the direction nearly all distributions are going. Once more and more packages have native pulseaudio support (without other layers, such as portaudio) things will get even better. I strongly recommend re-evaluating pulseaudio as I think many will be surprised how much things have improved and how flexible/powerful it is.

Tim