Re: Emacspeak with Espeak on Ubuntu doesn't work

Just once, I'd like to try e-speak with alsa just to see what the
difference is.  I have never ever had a problem with latency in it and
I run Linux virtually atop a windows installation on an aging desktop.
 I have used Pulse from the start through Vinux.  The only issue I had
was with E-speak cutting out the final syllable of a line or link in
emacspeak and chopping off characters when navigating in emacs using
c-f and
c-b.  I solved this by upgrading from e-speak 1.3 to 1.4 and
installing libsonic which, mysteriously, seems to work in conjunction
with e-speak somehow in this setup.  I didn't even have to build from
source.  I used apt-get in a console.  It took like five minutes tops
if that.  I just did a one liner:

sudo apt-get install libsonic; sudo apt-get install e-speak

I did have to get speakup to rebuild from source but this was done
with a special shell script in my distro that basically rebuilds all
your accessible software installations for you with just one command.
I ran this thing, rebooted and, when I brought up Emacspeak again,
there were no choppy syllables, no sliced off characters and
everything worked beautifully.  About the only gripe I have is that
the volume can inexplicably drop in certain situations like the
customizations groups.  Indentation by tone has never worked for me
but, changingback to verbal indentation announcement was easy and
painless and works just great.  As for the volume issue, c-e c-s
solves the problem quickly and effectively and I can just keep going
on about my business.  What does alsa do that pulse audio doesn't?  I
was under the impression that Pulse was the successor to Alsa.

Regards,
Alex M