Re: Emacspeak tutorial complete

For the record, the Emacspeak installation that comes with Vinux is
pre-installed only.  It is not preconfigured.  The user will have to
do that himself with m-x customize.  I think it had something to do
with remastersys which is what Tony Sales uses to create the
distribution from the stock Ubuntu.  Consequently, I expanded what was
originally only supposed to be a very sparse treatment of the Emacs
Easy Customizations and went into more detail describing what it
sounded like and so forth.  Whereever possible, I did my best to
provide readers with a link to a reference source such as the
Emacspeak Users Manual, the Org Manual, the Emacs Manual, ETC. so they
could not only expand their .  learning of the current topic but,
also, to get new users in the habit of consulting these resources as
they progressed in level of advancement in Emacs.

Another reason for this is that, frankly, I am a rank beginner at all
of this.  I know how to write how-tos, tutorials, and even full-blown
courses with assessments, exercises and reading materials but, I only
started using Emacspeak in about October or something like that.  I
took pains to make very good notes as I learned things since finding
information on things specific to Emacspeak was, at the time, very
difficult for me.  I did not know what to google for and the things I
did find on Emacspeak made several unfortunate assumptions about
things I was supposed to know but did not and would often send me
haring off to read up on a ton of related things just to get a simple
concept down.  That or, the materials I would find were quite out of
date referencing things like emacspeak 14 and Mandrache Linux and
.emacs files that were supposed to be included but turned out not to
be.  People I would ask on forums, David Ring being a wonderful
exception, would remark on how awesome Emacspeak was, how productive
it made you and so forth but would close by telling me that they'd
tried learning it once and gave up due to the steep learning curve.
So, I figured that the best thing for me to do was to take good notes,
refer to them often and keep adding to them as I learned.  The other
thing was to google for Emacs things first and then Emacspeak things
afterwards.  Then we had an irc meeting on Vinux, a documentation team
was created, and there wer tons of people who could not attend due to
unfamiliarity with Irc and using it with Pidgin, Irssi and such.  I
sued Erc-mode and found it so nice and helpful that I wrote a quick
How-to for the Vinux forum.  People started trying to install
Emacspeak and getting stuck, having problems, and just not being able
to make it work.  Noone knew how to build it from source and they were
using the emacspeak 29 package in Ubuntu repositories until they found
the Emacspeak 32 package in Vinux test repository.  Still, there were
problems because people didn't understand the interface, felt daunted
by the hotkeys and would just give up and use gui tools in Gnome that,
imho, did not work as nicely for certain tasks as Emacspeak seemed to
from what I was learning.  So, about early Feb, I got a bee in my
bonnet and decided to compile my notes along with other things I
learned through on-the-fly research and make a tutorial out of it.  I
am frankly joyously surprised it came out as well as it did since I
was absolutely sure I was bungling it badly and making all sorts of
errors.  Fortunately, some folks, Robert Crawford chief among them,
pointed out any errors I had made, I fixed them and then posted it.
People over there seemed to like it.  One man is going to start using
it to write Python scripts and to chat with what sounds like half the
population of ten small countries in Erc-mode.  =)  He's just tickled
pink over Emacspeak and can't get enough of it.

Bottom line is, though, if there's any errors in there, please let me
know.  If you want to contribute to it, expand it, make it better,
ETC. thank you and be welcome to it.  All I ask is that you keep it
very simple, make no assumptions about advanced profficiency and give
plenty of good, active links to point people to for further reading.

Lord, this got long.  I'm sorry about that.

Best regards,
Alex M