emacspeak pronunciation dictionaries

Bart --- Didn't get around to this earlier ---
Re implementing global pronunciation dictionaries --- it depends
on how much work you want to put into it.

Things to consider:

1. You could add a new "global" dictionary type into the
emacspeak pronunciation module.

Warning: might be a performance hit, since if you make it apply
everywhere -- *every* speech call will end up walking that
dictionary.

2. The *extremely* lazy solution --- if you  define pronunciation
for "directory" and that directory is "/", it'll effectively
become global.

3. Alternative lazy solution:

Add code in the speech server layer that reads a user-specific
file --- say  ~/.emacspeak/global-dictionary
-- where that file is a simple text file that includes
word/pronunciation pairs one per line.

The above may well be adequate -- because where you do want
global pronunciations, I suspect you're not going to define
complex phrases that require quoting etc.

Cons: no user interface, pros: do you need a user interface more
than emacs to edit a text file;-)