tcl-8.5 and emacspeak espeak server

Hi Jude,

what you have done is not correct. The tclespeak.so file is loaded by the
espeak script. The DTK_PROGRAM should be set to espeak NOT tclespeak.

I never do make install for emacspeak as I prefer to keep it all in directories
under my home directory. What you should try, before doing any make install and
after doing make in the linux-espeak directory is

1. Check that the espeak script in the servers directory is executable
2. Just run this script and you should hear it speak via espeak. You can use
control d to exit or you can use normal espeak TTS commands to queue and then
speak more text (see the emacspeak main Makefile for a description). If that
all works, then you know that the espeak emacspeak server works. If you then
run make install, you may need to track down paths and permission issues, but
at least you know the server and synthesizer do work with the versions of tcl
you have etc.

Tim

Jude DaShiell writes:
 > not compatible and here's why.  The make install puts a directory in
 > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-espeak/ which has only
 > one file in it called tclespeak.so.  I changed DTK_PROGRAM to tclespeak
 > and emacspeak still leaves error message file to attach to process is a
 > directory.  Now why that happens is above my pay grade to answer.

Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein