emacspeak, alsa and other sound applications

This is not exactly an emacspeak problem although there might be an
emacspeak solution so I hope it isn't too off topic.

I'm writing an application (let's call it soundscape) for sonifying 2d
graphics with the use of a touchpad or graphics tablet. This requires
relatively low latency so the output responds to the position of your
finger. Other requirements for me are that it runs under gnome, that
it must not interfere with emacspeak (currently running the 32-outloud
server) and it must run on a laptop (i.e
one soundcard). Without emacspeak it works fine. With emacspeak
running I can't tune the buffer sizes to get the latency down far
enough. I don't know how much of this I can fix by having emacspeak
and soundscape talk to different ALSA plugin devices given that
they're talking to the same underlying hardware. The recent addition
of the ALSA_DEFAULT environment variable for the outloud speech server
makes this possible but my experiments so far haven't helped, probably
a comment on my ignorance of the alsa architecture.
My question to the alsa users list came up blank so I'm now hoping
someone has had a similar enough problem with emacspeak to suggest a
solution.
thanks in advance for any help
Peter

--