The great software speech server hunt

I am a emacspeak newb, and am looking for a software only speech server. I seem to have a few options when it comes to emacspeak.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10, should I consider a different version of Linux? I understand that there are still some problems with alsa vs. PulseAudio and that other versions of Linux have not made the PulseAudio leap of faith.

Seems like a download area for enumerating all the different software speech servers would be very convenient, am I missing something obvious? Any help in creating a minimum emacspeak setup would be very appreciated.

Thank you.