Re: ViaVoice outloud on 64bit Ubuntu

Hi Raman,

I updated to the latest version from googlecode, did a make clean and make
within linux-outloud directory. New version still has the artifacts and no
longer does character echoing.

I tried your suggestion of increasing the usleep call and tested values from 1
to 40 with no observable impact on the speech artifacts. If anythhing, the
problem may have gotten slightly worse with higher values, though it is hard to
tell. I also tested with usleep completely commented out. None of these
permutations appear to have any significant impact.

While typing this message, I also notice that in addition to the loss of
character echo, many short words also do not get echoed. It would seem that any
word of 3 or less characters is not echoed and some words of 4 characters also
fail to be echoed. All words of more than 4 letters appear to be echoed.

I also notice issues when moving around text. For example, the line above which
only has the word 'tell.' does not get spoken when you move up over that line,
either with C-p or the up arrow.

I did notice quite a few compiler warnings in the most recent code which were
not there in the last version. Initially, I guessed these were just a result of
your testing/development work and ignored them. However, a couple did look a
bit suspicious. I've copied them below.

Tim

atcleci.cpp: In function âvoid do_test_position()â:
atcleci.cpp:327:16: warning: variable âavailsumâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp:328:28: warning: variable âmaxavailâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp:329:28: warning: variable âminavailâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp:330:28: warning: variable âbadavailâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp:330:42: warning: variable âbaddelayâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp: In function âint SetLanguage(ClientData, Tcl_Interp*, int, Tcl_Obj* const*)â:
atcleci.cpp:969:21: warning: variable ârcâ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
atcleci.cpp: At global scope:
atcleci.cpp:98:29: warning: âparamsâ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
atcleci.cpp:101:26: warning: âbuffer_sizeâ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
atcleci.cpp:172:17: warning: âsize_t alsa_configure()â declared âstaticâ but never defined [-Wunused-function]

T. V. Raman writes:
 > That is useful -- interestingly enough, commenting out both
 > blocks has no effect on my machine.
 >
 > Also, while changing things, I temporarily commented out the
 > usleep call in the stop function -- later brought it back.
 >
 > For the artifacts you're hearing -- last few samples of a
 > previous utterance, make sure you have the usleep call
 > uncommented, and try  different values -- starting with 1, till
 > you find a value that makes the artifact go away

 >     Bart> Hi, Commenting out both blocks causes speech to become
 >     Bart> very staticky and almost unusable -- certainly worse
 >     Bart> than the artifacts.
 >     Bart>
 >     Bart> Commenting out the first block only results in a server
 >     Bart> that doesn't talk -- compiles ok.
 >     Bart>
 >     Bart> Commenting out the second block has the same effect as
 >     Bart> commenting out both so I suspect this is where the
 >     Bart> static effect comes from.
 >     Bart>
 >     Bart> HTH
 >     Bart>
 >     Bart> Bart
 >     Bart>
 >     Bart> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:13:07 -0800, "T. V. Raman"
 >     Bart> <tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >     >> Tim,
 >     >>
 >     >> Additionally:
 >     >>
 >     >> In atcleci.cpp, try commenting out the #ifdebug blocks,
 >     >> recompile and see if the artifacts you're seeing go away.
 >     >>
 >     >> Those blocks were commented out because they weren't
 >     >> making a difference on systems I had tried it on; but that
 >     >> said, I'm also not getting the artifacts you and Bart are
 >     >> seeing.
 >     >>
 >     >> --
 >     >> Best Regards, --raman
 >     >>
 >     >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     >> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     >> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 >     >> "unsubscribe" or "help".
 >     >>

 > --
 > Best Regards,
 > --raman

Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein