Re: Newbie, again

Hi Liz,

I was just about to post to say I think your using an old version.
There was some issues a few versions back with the Makefile finding
the header files etc. More recent versions of the Makefile handle this
a lot better.

My advice is to run emacspeak from the svn repository on googlecode.
You don't actaully need to install the sources, they will run fine
from the svn checkout directory. I personally prefer git to svn, so
use git svn. Here is what I do.

apt-get install tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tclx8.4 tclx8.4-dev espeak espeak-dev

mkdir ~/git

cd ~/git

git svn clone http://emacspeak.googlecode.com/svn/trunk emacspeak

cd emacspeak

make clean

make config

make emacspeak

cd servers/linux-emacspeak

make clean

make

I then have the following config in my .emacs.d directory. It is
called tx-emacspeak.el. You don't necessarily need this script, I have
included it just in case you find it useful. Note that there is a lot
of very useful information in the emacspeak Makefile. There are many
ways to skin a cat - this is just mine!

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/home/tcross/git/emacspeak/info")

(when (and (not noninteractive)
           (not (featurep 'emacspeak))
           (getenv "RUN_EMACSPEAK"))
  (let ((src-path "/home/tcross/git/emacspeak/trunk"))
    (add-to-list 'load-path src-path)
    (setenv "EMACSPEAK_DIR" src-path)
    (setq emacspeak-aumix-multichannel-capable-p nil)
    (setq tts-default-speech-rate 90)
    (setq outloud-default-speech-rate 90)
    (setq emacspeak-vm-use-raman-settings nil)
    (add-hook 'emacspeak-startup-hook
              (lambda ()
                (dtk-set-rate tts-default-speech-rate 1)
                (dtk-interp-sync)
                (emacspeak-toggle-auditory-icons t)))
    (load-file (concat src-path "/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el"))))

(provide 'tx-emacspeak)

I then put a

(require 'tx-emacspeak)

into my .emacs file to load this config. Note that I also use a
RUN_EMACSPEAK control variable in my .profile to control whether
emacspeak is loaded or not. I also have an envrionment variable call
SPEECH_SERVER which points to the root of the emacspeak source
directory.  Provided that RUN_EMACSPEAK is set to a value i.e. 1,
emacspeak should startup when you run emacs.

Tim