Re: emacspeak without tcl8.4

Yep, /home/jude/git/emacspeak would be considered the emacspeak root directory.

Tim

Jude DaShiell writes:
 > Tim,
 >
 > What emacspeak put into its servers directory tree was left in it's
 > servers tree.  If I build emacspeak starting in
 > /home/jude/git/emacspeak/ is that directory considered the root
 > directory for emacspeak?  If so, all of this may be possible.
 >
 > On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Tim Cross wrote:
 >

 > > Jude,
 > >
 > > be aware that both the upstream e-speak package and emacspeak come with
 > > executable files called espeak. You need to ensure the espeak executable emacs
 > > and emacspeak are using is the correct one.
 > >
 > > Also note that the espeak tcl script provided by emacspeak has an expectation
 > > that the shared library it loads is in a subdirectory relative to the scripts
 > > working directory called linux-espeak. If the espeak script has been moved to
 > > /usr/bin, in addition to causing conflicts with the e-speak pacakge binary of
 > > the same name, the emacspeak espeak script will likely fail because it cannot
 > > load the atcleci.so library. The script would need to be modified if its
 > > location is changed from the servers directory.
 > >
 > > The EMACSPEAK_DIR should not be set to point to /usr/bin. This variable is used
 > > by emacspeak to find lisp files, auditory icons and other auxillary data files
 > > and should point to the root of the emacspeak directory, not to /usr/bin.
 > >
 > > I have also used tcl8.5 with both outloud and espeak with no problems.
 > >
 > > Tim
 > >
 > > Jude DaShiell writes:
 > >  > That's the situation in archlinux which has a unique upgrade policy.  The
 > >  > policy is that rolling upgrades take place.  There's no freezing or
 > >  > different versions like with Debian and for now archlinux left tcl8.4 in
 > >  > favor of tcl8.5.  If this is an impossible build environment, for as long
 > >  > as the necessary files from tcl8.4 remain available for download on the
 > >  > internet it may be useful for the emacspeak project to have the links to
 > >  > them documented.  While emacspeak was installed on this system, it and
 > >  > espeak and eflite were all in the /usr/bin directory and I had echo
 > >  > $DTK_PROGRAM returning either eflite or espeak once .profile was modified
 > >  > correctly and echo $EMACSPEAK_DIR returned /usr/bin.  Even with these
 > >  > conditions, and with the understanding that talking arch uses espeak to
 > >  > talk in the first place running emacspeak only got me a process speaker
 > >  > not running message after which I had to issue the three finger salute to
 > >  > exit the environment.  For now, emacspeak is in unsupported status on
 > >  > archlinux and if it gets enough votes and an adopter it could move into a
 > >  > supported status.
 > >  >
 > >  > ----------------------------------------------------------------
 > >  > Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>
 > >  > <http://www.shellworld.net/~jdashiel/nj.html>
 > >  >
 > >  > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [...]

Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein