re: emacs newbie

I have in my .profile file:
export EMACS_DIR=/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak
export DTK_PROGRAM=eflite

changing eflite to espeak just gets process speaker not running.  I have
tcl from the archlinux repository I think community and have tclx from aur
and both installed with no problems.  The eflite package required the
flite package both from aur and those are installed as well.  Right now, I
think all of this is extremely installation order-sensitive and if I don't
get the exactly right order of installation correct none of this is likely
to work.  Sometimes on reboot I have to source .profile too since
archlinux does not talk after it boots until I key in my username and
password.  I installed the aur emacspeak-34 version on this system and
would like to be able to install from svn if I can learn enough to get
this done.