Re: emacs newbie

I don't believe there are any installation order dependencies with the
packages for tcl, tclx and espeak. I know that under ubuntu, current
versions of flite work fine with Alsa and don't need any patches. I
know little about eflite.

As Jason has mentioned, before running emacspeak, you need to run just
the server scripts within a normal console. The process speaker not
running is almost always due to the server scripts failing and you
need to run them at the console to see exactly what the error is.
There is little benefit in running emacspeak before sorting out issues
with the servers.

If your emacspeak source is installed in
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak, you need to cd to
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers and run the servers
from that directory and verify they are working. Only once you have
verified this should you attempt to run emacspeak itself.

HTH

Tim