Re: emacspeak and w3

Hi Rob,

Wow, your style sheet and settings do appear to have fixed the issue. This has
me stumped - I was obviously missing something and would swear I had tried
those exact settings before. I must have not been refreshing something or had
something wrong with my stylesheet or something else enabled or more likely, a
bit of all of the above. I cannot tell you how many frustrating hours I spent
trying to get this sorted!.

Now I've applied some of the stuff from Raman's w3-prepare file, I also find
that the epub stuff is working great! This is just fantastic as I find the
rendering of html pages from epub files much better than the old conversion of
text from PDF files. It also means that perhaps on the weekend, I might be able
to get epub and w3m working as now I have an idea what I'm aiming at and can
make sure whatever I do doesn't break existing stuff.

The really nice thing is that since machines have gotten so much faster in the
past few years, the slower rendering time of w3 compared to w3m is pretty much
unnoticeable except on really large html files.

thanks again, you have made my day!

Tim

Robert D. Crawford writes:
 > I think I have the set-up you are looking for.  I have the following
 > variables that seem to be pertinent:
 >
 > '(w3-default-stylesheet "~/.w3/default.css")
 > '(w3-honor-stylesheets nil)
 > '(w3-user-colors-take-precedence t)
 > '(w3-user-fonts-take-precedence t)
 >
 > I have also attached my default.css file.  I have a black background
 > with the paragraph text in white.  Since we are both in the same boat as
 > concerns vision, I think this will work for you... that is unless
 > something else is in the way.
 >
 > Best regards,
 > rdc
 >
 > /******************************************************************************
 > **       File: default.css
 > **    Purpose: Default Stylesheet for Emacs/W3
 > **       Info: Copyright (c) 1995-1996 William M. Perry <wmperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 > **             Copyright (c) 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 > **    Created: William M. Perry <wmperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Aug-31-1995
 > ** Maintainer: William M. Perry <wmperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 > **
 > **  This contains the top level fallback default styles for Emacs/W3
 > **
 > **
 > ** To specify device-dependent styles, you must mark a section with
 > ** @media devicetype { ... }
 > ** If you are not using 'devicetype', then anything within the { ... }
 > ** is ignored.
 > **
 > ** These sections are currently defined by
 > ** http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/Group/WD-PRINT-961220
 > **
 > **    print  - output for paged opaque material, and for documents viewed
 > **             on screen in print preview mode
 > **    screen - a continuous presentation of computer screens
 > ** projector - paged presentation for projected presentations
 > **   braille - for braille tactile feedback devices
 > **    speech - aural presentation
 > **       all - the default value, applies to all output devices
 > **
 > ** There are a few special Emacs/W3 sections
 > **
 > **     emacs - only include this chunk if you are using Emacs 19
 > **    xemacs - only include this chunk if you are using XEmacs
 > ** multifont - only include this chunk if you are using a multi-font capable Emacs variant
 > **   unifont - only include this chunk if you are using a uni-font capable Emacs variant
 > **     light - only include this chunk if you are using a light background
 > **      dark - only include this chunk if you are using a dark background
 > **       tty - only include this chunk if you are using a TTY
 > **  ansi-tty - only include this chunk if you are using an ANSI-capable TTY
 > **
 > ** There are some things this stylesheet cannot really specify, that we
 > ** must rely on the browser to explicitly handle correctly:
 > **
 > ** o table formatting
> [...]

Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
   Fax: +61 2 6773 3424
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein