Re: emacspeak-w3m - how to get started?

Les Smithson <lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ÂHave you read the section on web browsing in the emacspeak info manual?

> I found a high level description, but not the usual key-by-key
> info. It did say that 'x h' should show google search hits Âon a
> results page. This sounds exactly what I need, but it says ;x a;
> undefined

Hmmm, I can't help you here.  when I hit the 'x a' keys I get the
expected behavior.  As concerns the C-h m help, this is something that
has been an issue for a long time.  emacs-w3m does not follow the emacs
convention as concerns the help page.  The only way I know to discover
the commands would be to run apropos for w3m.  Skip past all the
ad-Orig- stuff and read through the commands and variables there.  All
the emacspeak specific commands are prefixed with emacspeak.  Otherwise,
reading the source is your best option, I think.

> BTW I upgraded to emacspeak 36.0

Your version is newer than mine but I think most everything should
apply.  Anyone using the newer version that can lend a hand?

>> If you know the text of the link, incremental search works quite well.
> Yes, but that's rarely the case

Well, as I said before, navigating by headings is not something that can
be done but moving by character, word, sentence, and paragraph all
work.  Jumping link-by-link and jumping to instances of the page title
works as well.  While I realize it is not what you might be accustomed
to, I personally find using emacs browsers to be much more efficient
than firefox or google-chrome on linux, firefox or internet exploiter on
windows, or chromevox or Mobile Accessibility browsers on Android.

> Are there any alternatives to w3.w3m?

Seems I remember someone using lynx in a term window.  I never tried it,
though.  If you plan to stay in emacs, w3 and/or w3m are definitely the
way to go.  You can send links from emacs to firefox or chrome (probably
epiphany, too) if you want to go that route.  If you prefer to live in a
console you could use lynx, links, and several other browsers, maybe.

Best regards,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                     robdcraw@xxxxxxxxxxx