Re: multi-level undo & mode line questionns

I just checked and think that indeed undo is broken. I cannot get it
to undo further than the last change - it just loops between yhour
last chnge and your last undo. This is different fromthe behaviour I
get when running just under emacs, so it looks like a bug triggered by
emacspeak. Report it as a bug, making sure you include both emacspeak
version, emacs version and platform details. Including a simple recipe
to reproduce the broken behaviour will help ensure it is fixed quickly
as it will help eliminate local issues cuasing the problem.

I cannot report this as a bug myself as I am running the dev version
of emacs. When running emacs-dev, it is common for issues like this -
either due to changes in emacs itself which are not yet stable or
because of changes in emacs for which emacspeak will need to be
updated. I don't have a version of emacs 23.4 (current stable
version), so cannot verify if this a 'real' emacspeak bug or not.

With respect to your question regarding speaking the command line, use
C-e m to speak the command line and C-e M to speak the active minor
modes.

More generally, I find the command C-h b and C-k very useful. The C-h
b command will list all the known key bindings in the current buffer
while C-h k will tell you what a current key sequence is bound to (if
anything).

Once yu know what function a key binding is bound to, you can use the
various other emacs help commands, such as C-h f to see the functions
documentation. Knowing how to use the built-in emas help is possibly
the most important first lesson. Getting to understand all the options
will save you lots of time an make the learning curve a little less
steep. Start with C-h ? to see all the help options and try them out.
In general there is a hierarchy, with short/brief descriptions
including enough detail to drill down deeper into more and more
details explanations. Initially, you will be drilling down a lot, but
eventually, you will just use the brief versions to jog memory or
verify things like arguments or prefix settings etc.

HTH

Tim