Turning Off voice-lock mode When Emacspeak Starts

Hi all,

I've been trying for the last little while to get Emacspeak to start with voice-lock-mode disabled. I'm using Mac OS 10.8.2, Emacs 24.2, Emacspeak from SVN and the mac speech server.

I've tried three different times, with different lines in my .emacs. The first time I turned it off via costumize and my .emacs read as follows:

(custom-set-variables
 ' (global-voice-lock-mode nil)
)

The second time, I started with a fresh .emacs, which contained the line:

(setq global-voice-lock-mode nil)

The last time was nearly identical to the previous .emacs, except that it read like this instead:

(global-voice-lock-mode nil)

I'm not quite sure what I'm missing, though I'll freely admit that I'm still a beginner when it comes to Emacs and Emacspeak.

Thank you,
Haden