Re: Turning Off voice-lock mode When Emacspeak Starts

If what David suggests is correct, then more investigation would be needed. It isn't 100% clear to me what the 4 possible values are. I haven't given this a lot of thought, but I suspect I interpret this a bit differently. For me, global voice lock mode, if toggled on, turns on voice locking in all buffers/modes which support it. If it is toggled off, then only buffers/modes where it is deliberately enabled on a per buffer basis have voice locking turned on.

I just did a couple of quick tests and it does seem that adding (global-voice-lock-mode -1) to .emacs, either directly or as part of emacspeak-startup-hook does not disable voice locking. As this functionality does work interactively once emacs has started, my guess would be there is some other code turning global voice lock back on.

I did confirm that if you disable global font lock mode, then even though voice lock mode is enabled, it has little effect. Voice lock mode relies on properties added to characters by font lock mode. If you don't have font lock mode enabled, then there are no properties and therefore voice locking is effectively neutralized i.e. text is spoken with a single voice. You can disable global font locking from your .emacs file, so this could be a workable solution.

Another alternative (apart from identifying why you cannot turn global voice lock mode off from .emacs) would be to experiment with changing the voices used by emacspeak. It is possible that if you tweaked the voice parameters used on OSX that you would not find them as distracting. I find the voice locking very useful in a similar way to how sighted users find font locking useful. Not everyone likes them and you often see complaints about screens looking like "fruit salad". However, many users who complain about this also say they find font locking useful once they tone it down a bit by either reducing the number of different colours used or by chaning the characteristics of the colours used. I suspect the same may be true for voice locking. While it may take some time, you could possible tweak the different voice settings so that you can get the benefits of additional auditory hints while avoiding the disadvantages of it being too distracting.

A final thing to do would be to bind a call to global-voice-lock -1 to a key. At least then, it would only be a single key press to disable voice locking on startup. Not ideal, but perhaps easier then typing the command every time. Not aht as you cannot have functions requiring arguments directly bound to keys, you would need to wrap the call inside a lambda or function - similar to what was suggested for the startup hook and include the (interactive) call so that your lambda/function can be called interactively.

Tim