How are people using shell/term with emacspeak

I all you need is tab completion, use ssh mode when shelling to a
different machine.

For terminal make sure to use M-x ansi-term -- and switch between
char-interaction and line-interaction -- c-C-c C-k will let you
run things like VI  (character mode)  and C-c C-j will (almost)
feel like shell-mode.