Do people use speedbar or similar

Haven't used speedbar in a long time.

I use ido heavily -- it's the  fastest way to find files. If you
work heavily with git repos then use something like ftf or the
numerous similar packages (see elpa) for that.

For jumping to source code:  imenu is what I  use most heavily.
If you work with large Java codebases, then the ECB is worth the
effort   --- that is the only time I've used ECB. JDEE is a bear
to set up alas but can be worth it if you work exclusively in
Java.