Re: Emacspeak Won't build on My Mac!

The error you are getting is telling you that the function
declare-function is not defined. From the name, you can deduce this is
not an emacspeak, but an emacs function - in fact, a core function
defined in subr.el.

This indicates three likely explainations -

1.Your installation of emacs is somehow broken. Not likely if you are
using a packaged version. More likely if you have built emacs from sources.

2. If you are using an emacs built from sources, perhaps the emacs
sources are broken. THis is not unheard of if you are builoding from the
dev branch. Even if the emacs build itself is ok, it is quite possible
for a definition to have changed in such a way that it breaks emacspeak.
I've encountered this a number of times, which is why I usually have
things setup so that I can quickly change the sources to an earlier,
known good version of emacs. I find the emacs-24 branch much more
reliable than the bleeding endge emacs dev trunk.

3. You didn't do a make clean before the make config and make emacspeak.
Old configuration or old code which is not campatible with either the
new version of emacspeak or emacs is causing problems.

I updated both emacs from the emacs-24 branch and emacspeak from svn on
Tuesday and both build without problems. So, at the very least, you
sohould be able to build from the sources as of that date.

Tim

On 10/01/13 15:26, Steve Holmes wrote:
> When I try and build emacspeak from latest svn trunk and from the 37.0 tarball, I get a meaningless error and the make fails in it tracks.  I will insert a typescript below.  I am running Mountain Lion on my Mac Mini with a current home brew installation of necessary programs and emacs.  Emacspeak was working fine right up to when I went to update/rebuild it; now it's broken for me.  What could I be missing?
> ----- Begin typescript -----
> Script started on Wed Jan  9 20:00:50 2013
> [?1034hbash-3.2$ make emacspeak
> test -f  lisp/emacspeak-loaddefs.el || make config
> cd lisp; make
> emacs -batch -q -no-site-file   -eval '(setq vc-handled-backends nil byte-compile-warnings t)'  -l ".."/lisp/emacspeak-load-path.el -l ".."/lisp/emacspeak-loaddefs.el -l ".."/lisp/emacspeak-cus-load.el -l ".."/lisp/g-client/g-load-path.el  -f batch-byte-compile acss-structure.el
> Symbol's function definition is void: declare-function
> make[1]: *** [acss-structure.elc] Error 255
> make: *** [emacspeak] Error 2
> bash-3.2$ exit
> exit
>
> Script done on Wed Jan  9 20:01:18 2013

IT Security Manager
Information Technology
University of New England
 Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
Mobile: 0428 212217
E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
---

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a
touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
                                                           âAlbert Einstein