hyper key help

Hello all,

I am at a loss as to how to proceed and I'm hoping someone can assist.

I'm trying to give GNOME 3 a chance on my new install.  It makes use of
the Super key, so I thought I would assign hyper to be my "emacs" key.
I've used this .Xmodmap file:

! No Caps Lock
clear lock
keycode  66 = Hyper_L
! keysym Caps_Lock = Hyper_L
clear mod3
add Mod3 = Hyper_L

and the result, according to xmodmap is:

rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Hyper_L (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x85),  Super_R (0x86),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$

but emacs still thinks it is a super key, giving me the response "Cap x
is bound to self-insert character."  The lock is gone, but nothing
else.  In addition, why is the mod3 line blank?  Any ideas?

Concerning GNOME 3, I'm not terribly impressed.  I make use of the
magnifier and the one baked into gnome shell is shite.  The movement is
not smooth at all and if I try to change the shortcut it only rarely
works.  When I don't change the shortcut sometimes it works and
sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to figure out in what instances it
doesn't work, so I can't really request help, but I might try.  I was a
long-time user of compiz and the magnification was infinitely smoother
and more configurable.  I would have hoped that by the 5th release of
gnome shell it would have been at least comparable.  Alas, it is not
so.  My next step, I think, is to install XFCE and compiz.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for listening.

Best regards,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                     robdcraw@xxxxxxxxxxx