Re: emacspeak intialization

Hi Alex,

I'll try to clarify why I think we should not rush to get rid of the -q.

The benefit of having -q is that we know that emacs and emacspeak are running in a known good state. This can be quite important, especially for new users as otherwise it is almost impossible to provide assistance to resolve their problems because the search space of possible causes is too large.

There is even a benefit with having the -q for more experienced users when they start to configure emacs and emacspeak. There are a number of ways you can break emacspeak when configuring emacs and lose speech. Having a script which returns the system to a known good state means you can start emacs with speech, edit or remove the configuration changes which have caused the problem and then start again. I think this has become even more important with the growth in popularity of package systems like ELPA as I've found a number of occasions when installing an ella package that the package is not compatible with emacspeak without additional tweaking.

Most experienced emacs and emacspeak users don't tend to use the default script once they start customising emacs and emacspeak. Instead, they create their own setup. For example, I have emacspeak called directly from my .emacs.d startup scripts and just run emacs directly rather than running the provided shell script. In fact, I'd argue that if you don't yet have the level of understanding to create your own configuration, then you possibly are not ready and when you are ready, you should roll it yourself. If you get it wrong, you can revert to the default script and work out where you went wrong.

Your argument appears to be that the -q switch can cause confusion because the new user doesn't realise it is there and doesn't understand why they cannot use custom or create a customisation file. I agree this can happen, but feel the real solution is to improve the documentation so that they are more likely to be aware the switch is being used rather than remove the switch. For me, removing the switch is like addressing the symptom of the problem rather than addressing the cause of the problem, which is really an awareness issue and an indication we need to improve the documentation.

regards,