Re: TCL and Related Speech Server questions

Interesting, given me a lot to think about.

I've done a bit of work in Clojure--nice language, as you say.
Haden

On 10/9/2013 5:27 PM, Tim Cross wrote:
Just following on what Raman has said, back in the day, Tcl was one of the best scripting languages for gluing things together (in fact the name Tcl comes from tool command language). However, as Raman points out, you can write speech servers in any language and there have been serves in C, perl, python and Java. However, in most other languages, to make things work, you do need to implement some sort of read-print-eval loop, which is just a single call in Tcl.

One of my projects, which I really want to get back to, has been to implement an speak server in Clojure (a lisp like functional language which runs on the JVM). The main reason I've been playing with this was because I wanted something which didn't use Tcl as I've run into version issues with Tcl on 64 bit systems where you want to run 32-bit ViaVoice, but also have other Tcl apps which you would like to take advantage of the native 64-bit architecture.

The other reason I've been playing with this is because I also wanted a project to use as a way of learning Clojure, which has some very nice facilities for dealing with concurrency and which I think could be a nice basis for implementing a speech server. I also wonder if there may be some interesting experiments we could look at using clojureScript. At the end of the day, this is just a fun project I like to play around with and can recommend others embark on similar as the very best way to understand many of the issues involved in writing a good speech server is to actually try and write one!

IT Security Manager, Information Technology
University of New England
Armidale N.Sl.W. 2350

Email: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +61 2 6773 3210