Re: Emacs With GUI Support

Some of the more common issues you can get running in a terminal relate to key translation and interpretation, especially some of the modifier keys and some combinations, such as shift+meta etc.

Depending on the terminal being used, there can also be issues with function keys, delete and backspace, pgup/pgdown etc. You can also sometimes run into issues when connecting over ssh etc to remote systems.

Most of these issues can be resolved through tweaking of the terminal settings or through using different terminals, for example, using iTerm2 rather than the standard Mac terminal. However, if you look at some of the questions often asked regarding emacs and running in the terminal, especially under OS X, these are common issues which often cause users some problems. There are also occasional issues which come up specific to emacs running in the terminal (see Raman's post regarding the info mode and using emacsclient -t), these are less common. However, as the majority of people seem to run emacs under GUI mode, the terminal version is likely less well tested, so issues will come up a little more frequently.

IT Security Manager, Information Technology
University of New England
Armidale N.Sl.W. 2350

Email: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +61 2 6773 3210