Re: Almost decent working standard packaged emacspeak/eflite on Debian 7.2

I use eSpeak with Emacspeak and PulseAudio with no trouble. I used to compile eSpeak from source to use PulseAudio without going through PortAudio, but with Vinux 4, I no longer need to do this. I don't think there's a problem with PulseAudio and the eSpeak Emacspeak server. I think the issue lies in eSpeak when it's configured to go through PortAudio to get to PulseAudio.

On 11/06/2013 01:08 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
You using Pulse Audio?  That sounds a lot like what Pulse Audio does to the
Espeak speech server for Emacspeak.  I'm running Debian 7 as well and I just
made absolutely sure my system was pulse free by doing some very painstaking
and time-consuming installation wizardry but, because I did that, I stopped
having trouble such as you described with the Espeak server.  Perhaps, a
similar approach/solution will work with eflite?

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Sievers [mailto:gsievers19@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:57 PM
To: emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Almost decent working standard packaged emacspeak/eflite on Debian
7.2

Hi list.  I've been running emacspeak happily since about the year 2000,.
starting out on ViaVoice outloud and then eflite.

Eflite has become less reliable over time and I presume might not even be
well supported lately, if at all.

Anyway, recently upgraded to a fresh Debian on Toshiba laptop and was
pleased that all the standard packaged emacspeak goodies did work straight
out of the box.

There is a problem however that is a nuisance but one that I've seen
previously and just always tolerated.  I felt like asking  the brain-trust
here  though in case there's an easy fix.

Basically, the eflite driver or flite synth itself just plain chokes
frequently and requires a restart.

I do not encounter the problem in top-down reading of larger chunks of text
but it happens frequently when arrowing around.

Literally, it's like Mr. Eflite choked on a big piece of steak and his wind
pipe closed entirely.  It happens sometimes on text input as well and in
fact I had to restart once while writing this.

Relevant versions shown below.

Anyone else who's ran across this and found a reliable fix or workaround,
please advise.

Emacspeak 29.0

GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of 2012-09-08
on trouble, modified by Debian

$ cat /etc/debian_version
7.2

$ eflite --version
Eflite 0.4.1

$ flite --version
   Carnegie Mellon University, Copyright (c) 1999-2009, all rights reserved
   version: flite-1.4-release December 2009 (http://cmuflite.org)

Thank you

--
Jerry Sievers