Re: Emacspeak ignores custom values from the .emacs file

So far, using org-mode seems to work well. I’m still tweaking it a bit to get it right, but essentially, you can define your elisp blocks so that when you generate the code from the file, it will put various blocks in different *.el files. In my setup, I have a directory in .emacs.d called ‘lisp’ where all my *.el files go - for example, I have init-emacspeak.el

In my .emacs.d directory, I have an init.org file and an init.el file. The init.el file and the *.el files in the lisp directory are all generated from the init.org file. The init.el file is essentially just some basic setup code i.e. setting load-path etc and then a whole bunch of require statements which load files from the lisp directory.

I will try to find time to clean up my init.org file and will then ut it up on github in case anyone wants to have a look at it. However, emacspeak users will need to recognise that my setup is a bit more complex than most users will need and has a lot of additional packages which many probably won’t want. Provided people use it just as a guide and not a canned configuration file, I’m happy for people to use whatever they want from it. I will not be in a position to help debug any problems people run into.

I have also included an experimental ‘get me out of trouble’ feature, which should allow easy startup of emacs with emacspeak in a minimal configuration - the idea being that if you break things, you have an escape hatch to get basic functionality back.

regards,

IT Security Manager
Information Technology Directorate

University of New England