newbie

Greetings:
I just joined this list. I've been interested in Linux or unix for awhile now. I'm running windows xp. and don't want to go any farther down the windows road. I'm totally blind, have never seen a screen in my life so what I read about emacspeak really intrigues me. I have some basic questions that you guys may have answered a bunch of times already so if you want to tell me where to search for the answers, I'm good with that.

when you install emacspeak, are you installing the whole operating system or do you have to do that first? can I partition my hard drive and install it alongside xp or do I need to take everything out? are there tutorials available for getting oriented to the desktop?

thanks.
Lorie
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/LorieMccloud?feature=mhsn