Running interactive commands in emacs shell

Hi all,

I'm an emacspeak newbie and this is my first message here, so please
forgive me if this is not the right place to ask such a question.

I'm just learning emacspeak and I ran into the following problem. When
I run a shell inside emacs and then I run an interactive command in
this shell (e.g. "passwd" that prompts you for a current password),
something weird happens to emacspeak. When emacspeak works properly,
when you jump between lines, emacspeak would stop (cancel) speaking of
the previous line and start speaking the current line. However, after
an interactive shell command, it seems like the stop call is not
happening, and all the lines keep queueing into  a single huge queue
for the TTS engine to speak. This renders emacspeak unusable, since
you have to wait for every long line in your text to finish being
spoken on its own. At this point I have to restart emacs, since even
killing the shell buffer doesn't restore emacspeak's proper state.

Is there something I can do to make emacspeak to work better with
interactive shell commands?

I'm using emacs 24.5, emacspeak 41.0 (from Ubuntu Xenial repo) and
I've reproduced this problem with at least two TTS engines: ViaVoice
and windows.

Thank you
Tony