slight setup issues

Hi,

May need to use a mac at work from next week onward and might use
Emacspeak for that.
Now, I wanted to get some practice in this week to make sure I at
least know the basics of it, but i'm having a bit of trouble setting
it up on this Sonar Linux VM I quickly cobbled together.
I am running Emacs 25.1, the package from the AUR.
I checked out the latest emacspeak code from the github and ran make
config and make emacspeak, everything fine so far.
Then, I created an init.el file containing the following code:

(unless (featurep 'emacspeak)

   (expand-file-name "~/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el"))

(setq dtk-program "espeak")
  (emacspeak-tts-startup-hook)
This is based on the instructions given in this gist, as well as
various blog posts I read:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/tvraman/a6788803fee5e5c8d2fbd47d86feb543/raw/66523d3c52cbd29800ade3b2ece02c29560b0255/foo.el
When running this, I get a symbols function is void error on the
emacs-tts-startup-hook function. When I comment that line out, emacs
starts normally but does not speak outside of Orca, which is also on.
What magic incantation am I missing to make emacspeak come up talking? :)

Regards,
Florian