Question: is this a feature or a bug?

Hi,
I'm on the Mac, with the latest Emacspeak and Emacs.
When I'm in any buffer, and type something like this:
10 minutes
Emacspeak reads it as:
10, minutes
In other words, there is a pause between "10" and "minutes". This doesn't happen if the text in question is in the middle of the line, such as this:
It takes 10 minutes.
The fact that it happens every time the line begins with a number makes me think that it might actually be a feature.
Thanks!

|May 1995 - Last Year |Current Year|