Need help debugging an issue in speech

Hi,

I’m having an issue with speech on the Mac. I’m having trouble understanding how much of it is an Emacspeak issue and how much of it is a Mac speech server issue. I’ll explain the steps to reproduce, and then explain what I’ve tried already.

So, first, to reproduce the issue, all you need to do is to open an org file and press S-tab. I’ve asked Tim to test this on Linux and Mac, and his findings confirm mine: on Linux, the word “OVERVIEW” and the headline are spoken together simultaneously, but on the Mac, nothing is spoken.

When I look at the output of log-mac and when I set the debug level of the Mac speech server to 10, I can see that the command to speak the text is received, and the log of the Mac speech server also says that the speech server “says” the text. However, right before it says it, it gets an s command from Emacspeak, meaning that it should stop, and nothing ends up being spoken.

I’ve looked at the code, and Emacspeak is setting dtk-stop-immediately to false when queuing this piece of information, which means nothing should be stopped. I’ve verified that it is in fact happening by putting message statements and verifying that when dtk-speak runs, it does not call dtk-stop.

However, just after Emacspeak queues the word OVERVIEW and then the headline, an s command ends up being sent to the server, and I can’t figure out where that is coming from.

Can anyone help me figure out why Emacspeak is shutting up the speech server before it can speak in this instance?

Thanks!

|May 1995 - Last Year |Current Year|