[Emacspeak] Any tips on optimal audio config for emacspeak?

Hi all,

Hopefully I got the address right! :)
I'm trying to get Emacspeak working on a Raspberry Pi 4 running Arch. It seems like no matter what I do, audio performance just isn't quite right. With Alsa, there's noticeable lag when I do anything. The speech is slow to interrupt, icons play slowly and make the whole emacs process seem to lag. With Pulseaudio, the pauses between speech chunks are greatly lengthened. A simple comma may take a full second to be processed.
Does anyone have tips for an optimal audio configuration? I'm guessing the icon slowness is just SD card performance (class 10, they said!), but what about the speech lag? In case it helps, I'm using latest Emacspeak from github/tvraman/emacspeak with the espeak server.
...Or should I just blow the whole thing and switch to FreeBSD? :)

Thanks for your help,
Derek

|May 1995 - Last Year|Current Year|