[Emacspeak] Re: Crashes on macos on startup

Hi Isaac,

There are multiple recipes for Emacs under homebrew. There have been
other reports of problems with the 'plain' emacs homebrew recipe, so I
would strongly recommend using the rialwaycat recipe. To do this

1. Remove the existing emacs version with

brew uninstall emacs

2. Add the railwaycat cask

brew tap railwaycat/emacsmacport

3. Install the emacs-mac package

brew install emacs-mac

You can find out more about the railwaycat version at
https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport

Note that as this is a proper mac port of Emacs, you will find key
bindings are more consistent with normal mac key bindings. If you have
tweaked your Emacs init to get command and options to work correctly
(often required with vanilla builds of emacs for mac), you may want to
undo those changes. There are also some improvements with respect to
windows and full frame mode. However, I suspect as a blind user, your
probably just running Emacs inside a terminal rather thanin full GUI
mode? I have some limited sight, so I do use GUI mode.

I would also consider upgrading your macOS version. The macOS Mojave
version falls out of support in November. I'm running macOS Big Sur on a
2014 mac book pro with no problems.

Note that reverting to an earlier version of Emacspeak and not seeing the
issue does not necessarily mean that the issue is with Emacspeak and it
is not a hardware issue. It all depends on how things are loaded in
memory. It could just as easily mean that the later versions of
Emacspeak cause additional or different memory allocation layout which
trips the problem. Most likely it is an issue with low level library
linking, but signal 11 crashes are frequently related to hardware
issues or corruption in low level libraries.

At any rate, it is highly unlikely this problem is due to Eamcspeak
itself. Emacspeak doesn't have any low level C code - everything is just
Emacs lisp. The type of error you are seeing looks like low level memory
allocation problems. This means it is much more likely the problem is
with Emacs and/or the low level libraries it is linked against. Even if
you don't want to replace the vanilla emacs version with the mac port
version, I would strongly recommend removing the existing Emacs, running
brew cleanup and re-installing to see if that fixes the issue. However,
I think the mac port of Emacs is really the best choice.

Likewise, upgrading to more recent version of macOS may also fix the
issue - especially if it is due to a low level shared library.

Hope all is going well at UON given lockdown etc. I'm located in
Armidale and worked at UNE for 20 years. I'm still involved with the
Comp Sci department there (member of the Industry Advisory Board). My
son was at UON until last year (doing Physics). It is a good Uni.

Tim