[Emacspeak] Re: Emacspeak at the forefront of innovation yet again

I wonder if someone could make a speech server that interfaces with an emulated DecTalk in Mame? It has DecTalk 1 and 2, but maybe the DTK server could be revived for that? It'd also make it very crossplatform.
Devin Prater
gemini://tilde.pink/~devinprater/

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 8:10 PM Tim Cross via Emacspeak <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Devin Prater via Emacspeak <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> True. One *can* do that with Emacspeak, but you'd probably have to code it yourself. Oh and I did try Emacs with Emacspeak
> and Voxin on WSL 2, still too slow to be useful. Ah well.

The main thing needed for people to run Emacspeak under windows is for
someone to write a speech server for that platform which uses the
Windows TTS API (similar to what was done on the mac). I don't use
windows, but for someone familiar with that platform, it would not be
too difficult (I have written speech servers for other TTS engines under
Linux in the past and it wasn't that hard). Not being familiar with the
Windows platform, I'm not sure what language would be best for the
interface (i.e. Tcl for Linux, Python for Mac, ? for Windows). Perhaps
Powershell could be used (though, have to say when I've been required to
use it, I find it a very odd language) - it would just need to be
something which made it easy to interface with the Windows TTS API.

I suspect it will be a while before WSL is up to the task. My small
amount of experience with WSL has been that it is very slow when
interfacing with devices like NIC, sound hardware and graphics. In
general, it feels like a somewhat primitive virtual environment compared
to other VMs I've used.