[Emacspeak] Re: Introduction & Voice Configuration Questions

David Tseng <davidtseng(a)gmail.com> writes:

> The best "bang for your buck" approach here is to write a speech server for speech dispatcher as Gilles stated above. Speechd has
> python bindings, so it really shouldn't be that hard :). No TCL bindings though unfortunately.

Yes, I think a SD server for Emacspeak would be a good addition. I have
thought about it, but I simply hate Python as a language. I know it is
popular and I know it is often the language used in many CS courses to
teach programming etc. However, every time I've sat down and tried to
learn it, I just end up frustrated. I find the development environment
and tool chain overly complicated and fragile and for some reason, don't
seem to enjoy the language syntax that much (I do prefer functional
languages over OO ones). I realise this is a perception problem on my
part - lots of people seem to love it and it is a popular language.
However, for me, it just doesn't seem to gel, which is odd given I've
used lots of different languages, many OO, over the past 30 years and
none have been as frustrating for me.

I have used Tcl to embed other C APIs in the past and it would not be
too hard to create Tcl bindings to the SD C API. In fact, it has been on
my todo list along with the many other things, for quite some time.
Problem is, the itch just hasn't yet got annoying enough. I guess I'm
just too happy with the IBM server.

|May 1995 - Last Year|Current Year|