[Emacspeak] Re: Emacspeak and Mac OS

Hi Till,

when I read your message, I had already done those steps. For me, the
key was I actually had to uninstall python3 and start from scratch
again. I have no idea why it didn't work initially and it did take me a
couple of goes until I managed to get all the bits purged (I think some
of the problem was due to stuff in ~/Library/Caches and
~/Library/python in addition to the homebrew directories.

As you point out, there are recommendation to use virtual environments,
which may be the correct approach, but it seems like a lot of additional
complexity which I don't think should be required. However, in this day
of snap and flatpak package 'containers', perhaps I'm just out of step.

What I think really causes confusion and leads to fragility is there
seems to be multiple approaches to both how you install packages and how
you crate/manage virtual environments, combined with a real problem with
API stability. I'm not sure I've come across a language with as many
version issues. CL is a language which also has a number of different
ways to manage packages and do installations. However, it doesn't suffer
from the versioning issues which seem to afflict Python.

With python the different package management and even virtual
environment management approaches are not interchangeable and you need
to be consistent or you get all sorts of weird and difficult to track
down problems. To some extent, the virtual environment approach feels
very much like a way to address the symptoms rather than fix the cause.

Just for the record and to help avoid others running into similar, I
should also say that it appears the mac server is not compatible with
Python 3.10. I tried out that version because there are a number of
deprecation warnings associated with pythong3.9, especially wrt package
installation. Unfortunately, while running under python3.10 did look
promising and the server would start and initially speak, it then just
exists and won't produce speech. No errors or warnings are shown. Exact
same setup with 3.9 seems to work fine.