[Emacspeak] Re: Emacspeak and Mac OS

Александар Средојевић <ferrumite666(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> Just for the record and to help avoid others running into similar, I
>> should also say that it appears the mac server is not compatible with
>> Python 3.10. I tried out that version because there are a number of
>> deprecation warnings associated with pythong3.9, especially wrt package
>> installation. Unfortunately, while running under python3.10 did look
>> promising and the server would start and initially speak, it then just
>> exists and won't produce speech. No errors or warnings are shown. Exact
>> same setup with 3.9 seems to work fine.
> Using python3.10 seems to work on my end, although I do recall something
> similar happening when I use the espeak server. For a while it would work just
> fine, and then it would just stop speaking and I had to restart using C-e C-s.
> how long does it take for the speech to stop?

For me, almost immediately.

If I run ./mac at a command prompt, I hear the little bit of intro
speech and the server sits their, looking like it is waiting for
input. However, as soon as I hit any key, the server immediately exits.

If I run Emacs, I here the initial spoken feedback, but then get no
speech. There are no errors or warnings or anything saying something
like "Process speaker not running" as you would normally see with other
speech servers. Everything appears to work, but there is no speech
output.

This was after a complete clean install of 3.10 from homebrew. There was
a 3.9 also installed (just mentioning in case there is some unexpected
interaction I have not accounted for).

Note that with the homebrew 3.10 install, on my system, all the
'binaries' are put into /usr/local/opt/python(a)3.10/bin and none are
linked into /usr/local/bin due to potential conflict with the homebrew
python3. To resolve this, I added the pythong3.10 bin path to the start
of my PATH variable.

The installation of python3.10 appeared to go even smoother then with
3.9. For example, there were no deprecation or pip version warnings etc
as I see with the 3.9 setup.

|May 1995 - Last Year|Current Year|