[Emacspeak] Re: Bug in auditory icon theme definition

OK, will get to it later. It is a low impact issue as it only occurs
(for me) after changing auditory icon themes, which is a rare thing to
do (at least for me).

I did notice some of the logic in places relating to identifying
sound/audio layer information i.e. ALSA v Pulse and suspect some of it
will need refinement as a result of the introduction of pipewire and
wireplumber. e.g. anything relying on pacmd will fail because pacmd does
not work with pipewire-pulse and returns an error about no daemon found.

In the long term, I think pipewire and wireplumber will greatly simplify
things and provide greater flexibility, just take a bit to get all the
knobs set correctly.

With the exception of the espeak issue, things on the whole seem to be
working well with pipewire/wireplumber. Have seen some minor issues,
such as auditory play tasks hanging around too long etc. However, I
think this is all just needing to tweak the various knobs a bit to get
the right detection and setting of defaults for a pipewire/wireplumber
environment. The outloud server seems even more stable with far fewer
crashes.

Currently trying to track down an issue with dtk-soft. On one system, it
seems to be working fine. On another system, it is failing with an error
about not being able to load an appropriate wave output driver. Weird
thing is, both systems seem to have the same packages installed. Issue
could be related to virtual sound card (the one not working is running
as a kvm/qemu virtual).

Do need to get back to some other issues, so progress will likely be a
bit slow - still got to pay the bills! However, hope to have some spare
time around the Christmas break to focus on this some more.

"T.V Raman" <raman(a)google.com> writes:

> likely due to a bug in the smarts used to decide between playing samples
> loaded into the pulseaudio server vs playing them from file each
> time. Play with some of the custom settings in emacspeak-sounds to track
> it down  -- I am able to switch themes in my setup with no issues.

|May 1995 - Last Year|Current Year|