[Emacspeak] Re: AsTeR: Spoken Math On The Emacspeak Audio Desktop

Hi

Its really great that both Aster and the Dectalk dependency are now
available as open source.  Considering it was written in the early 90s
Aster is remarkably ahead of its time, Windows screenreaders have only
really started to catch up in the last few years with their support for
MathML.

I managed to install everything and have got it to run on small regions
of LaTeX files.  I can't get the aster-file command to read in a whole
file, it either does nothing or gives an error.

I did notice a parsing issue, I often write simple fractions like \frac
12 and aster seems to parse this as a fraction with numerator 12 and no
denominator.  Correctly handling cases like this is probably very
annoying and I suspect that if aster was to be written today the input
format might be MathML so that parsing isn't so fiddly.

Best wishes and thank you for the blogpost

Alastair